Sun Pharmaceutical has undertaken various CSR Projects during 2017-18 across locations in India for sustainable development of communities. Their main objective is to emphasize on quality whilst ensuring the sustainability. As a result, their implementation approach is strategic in nature that is more inclined towards the sustainability of the projects, addressing community needs and focusses on the poorest of the poor, the downtrodden, the disadvantaged, and the weaker sections of society. Sun Pharma follows a systematic approach by taking-up community needs assessment study at all locations. Based on the survey results and recommendation, corporate social responsibility interventions were prioritized and strategy has been worked-out. The company believes that their projects were highly sustainable in nature and contributing towards the social development of the people.
At Sun Pharma, the social responsibility programmes mainly focus on health, education, water, livelihood, environment and disaster relief projects. These are designed to improve the quality of life of the people as well as contribute towards a strong economy.
The total amount spent for the financial year 2017 – 18 is INR 26.97 Million.
|Sl. No.||CSR Project or Activity Identified||Cumulative Amount spent on the projects or programs (INR in Million)|
|1||Mobile Medical Unit||69.41|
|4||Kidney Dialysis Programme||0.40|
|5||Drinking Water Programme||0.15|
|7||Environment Conservation Programme||1.09|
1) Mobile Medical Unit Programme: Mobile Medical Unit (MMU) is a primary healthcare project that provides free doorstep health facilities for the marginalised and financially backward section of the society. A full-time dedicated health van, visits the target areas at a regular frequency. It is manned by a dedicated team of qualified experienced doctor, pharmacist and special protection officer, who provide medical check-ups, medicines, expert counselling and referral services for free. The projects were implemented by the Sun Pharma Community Healthcare Society and HelpAge-India, the main objective of the project is
In FY 2017-18, INR 21.51 million was invested towards this program covering 137 villages across various locations – Halol, Panoli, Ankleswar and Karkhadi in Gujarat, Nagar in Maharashtra, Mohali, Toansa in Punjab, Paonta Sahib in Himachal Pradesh, Madurantakam in Tamilnadu and Dewas and Malanpur in Madhya Pradesh. The total numbers of patients treated were 1,18,180 and in addition to this clinical treatments 68,788 people also benefitted through various Promotive and Preventive healthcare awareness programme organized in different villages.
2) Sanitation Project:In order to align with the national objective of “Sanitation for All by 2019” and to change the socio economic situation of communities, the company has decided to make villages free from open defecation practices, Sun Pharma has undertaken projects for construction of individual toilets.
Sun Pharma has created critical awareness about sanitation schemes, best hygienic practices in villages near to their Ahmednagar, Silvassa and Madurantakam and Halol plant, to build up their interest towards sanitation implemented by the CSR Department and implementing agency GVT-Dahod, the aim of this programme was two-pronged:
To achieve the objective of zero open defecation, 201 Individual Household Toilets were constructed during FY 2017- 18 with an investment of INR 3.21 million.
3) Educational Projects: Sun Pharma has been working on concept of MHRD’s on ‘Modern School
Development ’, in which various programmes were executed like up-gradation of classroom, renovation and up keeping of schools, providing proper drinking water facilities at rural schools and other required up-gradation in school infrastructure so that it converts into model schools over a period of years. Educational Programme was implemented at Ahmednagar, Halol, Madurantakam, Panoli, Silvassa, Toansa and Malanpur. The programme has benefitted 5770 students with an investment of ` 1.60 million during the FY 2017-18.
4) Kidney Dialysis Project: Kidney dialysis project was focused upon providing free kidney dialysis services to poor and unprivileged sections of society and is being implemented with the help of implementing agency Rogi Kalyan Samiti at Silvassa. There are many poor patients who require dialysis treatment several times a week and are in immense need of financial assistance in order to undergo dialysis treatment. The project has proven as a boon for them and benefitted 127 such patients with an investment of INR 0.40 million during the FY 2017-18.
5) Drinking Water Projects: Sun Pharma has installed a tubewell and pump house was also constructed for provision of drinking water in village Toansa through underground pipeline. The same was operated and maintained by Sun Pharma for providing drinking water on regular basis. It has benefitted 210 households with the cost involvement of INR 0.15 million.
6) Healthcare Programme: Sun Pharma renovated one abandoned dispensary of Zila Parishad providing all infrastructural needs and required equipment’s and medicines in addition to the Government supply. Company is maintaining this dispensary since 2009 as continuous project which covers population of nearby villages i.e. Bholewal, Toansa and Railmajra with the following given objectives:
About 7200 beneficiaries of three villages benefited out of these medical services that are being provided at the Dispensary. Sun Pharma has invested INR 0.07 million in this project during the FY 2017-18.
7) Green Belt Development: Tree plantation is one of the effective measures to control problems of air pollution and further to its economic benefits; it effectively addresses several important environmental and sustainable development objectives. This effort will also brighten the surrounding of the community, over and above offering ecological benefits. Company has undertaken roadside plantation at Panoli with an investment of INR 0.03 million during the FY 2017-18.